Here are eight foods rich in sleep-inducing ingredients that can naturally help you get more z’s.
1. Fish is rich in tryptophan, an amino acid that raises serotonin levels that are needed to make melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone that helps to control your sleep and wake cycles.
2. Dairy products like yogurt, milk and cheese are rich in melatonin-boosting calcium, and a number of studies are finding that being calcium-deficient may make it difficult to fall asleep.
3. Cherries, especially the tart varieties, are one of the few food sources of melatonin, the sleep hormone that regulates your internal clock.
4. Bananas, well-known for being rich in potassium, are also a good source of magnesium. Bananas also contain tryptophan, an amino acid that has been linked to sleep quality.
5. Nuts are rich in magnesium and also provide calcium – two minerals that help promote sleep.
6. Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), the main ingredient in hummus, are not only rich in tryptophan, but also in folate and vitamin B6.
7. Dark leafy green vegetables (such as spinach, Swiss chard, kale, turnip greens and collard greens) are rich in potassium, magnesium and calcium. These minerals play an important role in helping you sleep.
8. A smart, soothing beverage to drink before bedtime is an herbal tea such as chamomile or peppermint.
– By Patricia Bannan
To read more, click on the link 8 foods to help you sleep | Fox News.